Random Ideas and Reflections

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

weekend graduation

Well this weekend was graduation for my roommate. It was a long ceremony but enjoyable in the summer sun with some other newly promoted seniors. Despite the awkward hugs between me and some "I kind of know you, and want to wish you luck in life but am not sure how to do it because we are not close" friends, I was very happy to see so many seniors off as they embark on the adventure of life.

Today I was thinking over the good byes to the senior class, my exciting summer away from the environment that has been home for over two decades, and the general nerve-racking excitement and nauseating experience of growing up and the changes that come with it.

God is so funny, and for many reasons. (This may seem like it is out of the blue, but just wait)

So, I'm sitting in the Chapel today during my lunch break, with all of the above thoughts swimming through my head. I am there praying and what scripture comes in front of me? Well let me tell you (I'll be quoting only the important lines)

Psalm 33:
"He frustrates the designs of the Nations, He defeats the plans of the peoples.
His own design shall stand forever, the plans of his heart from age to age.
...
The king is not saved by his army, nor a warrior preserved by his strength.
...
The Lord looks on those who revere him, on those who hope in his love,
to rescue their souls from death, to keep them alive in famine."

A small smile creeps across my face as a shake my head towards the Tabernacle. "Oh Lord," I whisper, "you know just what to say."

While it is important to get an education, to have somewhat of a "plan" for your life, the important thing is to keep it centered in Christ. For all the graduates who think they know exactly where they will be in 5 years, the Lord probably will "frustrate the designs" they have for their lives. He "defeats the plans of the peoples." But, not in a way that is malicious. God doesn't have the plan of a dictator, but the plan of a lover.

He is the Lover of our souls, our creator, and our sustenance. In the scriptures they use a word with a harsh connotation, "defeats." But they counter that in the next line. God may defeat our plans, but doesn't leave us alone holding onto our defeated human agenda. Since He is lover, He gives us "the plans of His heart." He gives us the deepest desires of His heart and trusts us to carry them out.

Nothing can resist the plans of the Lord. The king is defenseless and the warrior is weak. However, that is only the case when they go against the plan of the Lord. When we say no to the gift of God's plan from His heart, it is only an uphill losing battle.

Trust me, I'm the first one to admit that this is not easy. I'm a pack-rat when it comes to old bad habits. But once again, God reads the skeptics mind that thinks their human agenda isn't worth giving up. With His plan He "rescues the souls from death" as long as the souls revere Him.


Needless to say my short 20ish minutes of prayer time today began this nugget of thought. God is still working on me. And I always need to be reminded to calm down and trust Him. He's got a plan, and it's from the heart. All I have to do is follow.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true for so many aspects of life. It was good to read and would like to talk more about it with you.

    ReplyDelete