I have been involved in ministry officially (with a role and
a paycheck) for 3 years, and before that I have had a history of being in
ministry as a youth, a leader, and the awkward college student who came home on
breaks. Needless to say I’ve seen plenty of people who went on
missions/conferences/trips/ retreats who’s “lives were changed” by the
experience. I guess when they said life, I expected something more permanent than
36 hours, my mistake.
But I totally understand it guys. I was there, I’ve gone on
retreats/missions and came back changed … for 36 hours. I’ve come back with a
resolve to do better and love more that lasted 3 weeks, or 2 months. The
question on so many young minds as they leave Steubenville conferences, Jesus camps,
and mission trips this year is how can I keep feeling this way?
Well, truth is, you can’t. I hate to break it to you, but if
you will constantly look for the “feeling the Jesus high” and be crushed when
it goes away – well, you will be crushed, every time, I guarantee.
That is because Jesus is not a feeling. Actually, NO relationship
is a feeling. If that were the case no relationship would last, each one would
be fleeting (which is not how I would like to live).
When we attend a conference or high intensity Jesus weekend
or week, it’s not about the feeling, but it is an opportunity to encounter
Christ. So, did you truly encounter Christ? Did you sit with him in prayer at Mass?
Did you truly accept his forgiveness from the sacrament of Confession? Or was
it more about the cross clap, getting a seat next to the new cute boy/girl who
also went?
Well, there is good news. Since the faith isn’t about the “Jesus
high,” you don’t need thousands of dollars of production, famous musicians and
speakers, and a gym/conference center to keep the faith. But there are some
things you DO need…
1. Support - You had it at the conference.. and you
could see it because everyone wore matching t-shirts. But you have support even
at home – find your youth minister and be extra involved. Take time to
specifically talk with your friend who also went to the experience, and talk
ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE. (hanging out at the mall and gossiping doesn’t quite
count as “Jesus time” just because it’s youth group friends.)
Support others who are in their own
journey, and ask for support and prayers from them too.
2. Silence/Prayer- At these conference is a
lot of noise.. not bad noise, but still noise. Loud songs, the “we love Jesus”
cheer, chatter, clapping, etc. Well hopefully there was one or two things you
remember, wrote down, or took a picture of that you though were important. Take
that quote, line of a song, image, or whatever it may be and sit with it in
silence. Don’t listen to the song, write the lyric down and meditate on it. In
the silence of prayer we can find God and allow him to draw us to him more
closely.
3. Sacraments - Again, Jesus is a person who established the
Church that we may experience his presence through that Church and the
sacraments. We must continue to be fed though the Eucharist, we need to
continue to be forgiven in the sacrament of Confession. Mass won’t end each Sunday with thunderous applause
and an encore of the final song. But that doesn’t discount the miracle that took
place, or the true presence of Christ now residing in you.
So, perhaps a weekend this summer, or last left you excited,
ready to change the world be a light in the darkness! Only to realize “oh, it’s
too dark!” Don’t be discouraged! As one of the speakers I heard this summer
said “Don’t let this be a memory, let it be a momentum that changes your life
forever.”
It will take time to change the world, but before you change
the world, you must have firm resolve to constantly change yourself to become
more like Christ each day. It’s hard work, and you will need constant prayer
and support. But take courage, when it’s difficult, when you aren’t “feeling”
the faith – remember, it’s more than the Jesus high, it’s a relationship, and I
wouldn’t have it any other way.

Awesome post Alexa! I could not agree more!
ReplyDelete