Random Ideas and Reflections

Monday, May 19, 2014

The Words of the Faithful

So, as many (all) of you know I'm Catholic and also human. And as a Catholic human, I sin. And also as a Catholic human, I go to Confession. I try to go regularly because, well, I need it... and it's good for the soul. Get some healing.. in my mind it's like setting a broken bone straight again. Sometimes you need to reset it a few times before it takes. But Christ is patient with me, so that's always a good thing.

Anyway... So the other day I moseyed myself over to confession and stood in line. The line was long (extra time to think about all the times I didn't love Jesus in the past month) but I figured better to have people sin and confess than sin and not confess. After examining my conscience I grabbed my rosary bracelet and began to pray (it's hard to stay focused in line man... Mary helps.)

In front of me in line was an older gentleman who every few minutes would whisper "Jesus."  Nothing really stood out there; he was old, and sometimes older people don't know a quiet whisper from a loud one. 

He went to confession (sound proof... no worries there) and then came out. He knelt down before the tabernacle close by the confession lines and began his penance. He started with an Our Father. It was a labored and loud whisper and at a slower pace that made me question my lightning Rosary speed I had adopted. Then he moved to a Hail Mary, but before he named his intention

"Thank you for courage for confession 
and I pray for those who do not have the courage to go.
...Hail Mary.." 

My prayer was silenced.  How many years had this man been faithfully going to confession? How many times had the name of Jesus passed over his lips in desperation, joy, in confusion or hope? How many ways has this man's brokenness been healed? But even more importantly, how many people have been to confession because of his prayers for those who do not have courage?

Confession is hard. It's awkward, and humbling. But this man's loudly whispered prayer is a witness to the faithfulness that Christ has in the Sacrament. This man lovingly named his savior in preparation of receiving the grace and mercy of Jesus only to then pray for others to come and receive what he had experienced. It's a reminder to me that I need to constantly pray for and bring others to Christ. 

Lord, thank you for giving me the courage to go to confession.
Lord, help me to bring others to you in the sacraments, and pray that others may find the courage to seek your healing mercy.
Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment